Friday, April 3, 2015

Happy Returns

It's been a while! Or if you're a blogger (a year and almost a half), forever. But after a long hiatus and attempts at other blogs, I am back!

Catching up .....

Raced in 2014 with some pretty decent results. 1st in my age group and 5th overall in my first EVER duathlon. 5th overall in my local running series (until I sprained my ankle in October and had to forfeit the remainder of the races - SIGH). Always the feet and ankles with me.

That said, my routine of stretch, Footz ball rolling and massage are paying off. My Plantar Fasciitis and Posterior Tibial Tendonitis are being well managed. AND, it's the beginning of the 2015 Triathlon Season.

That said, I still feel a little behind. I need to lose some weight. 7 pounds to be exact. And cresting the hill of (AHEM) a monumental birthday does not make it easier. Also contributing to the melee is the new work environment. Cookies, cakes, snacks. UGH... Long meetings where you are forced to eat take out food. And if stuffing in the treats isn't enough, there is always the "open plan" work space where you can contract any number of unique viruses that throw your training into a tailspin. SIGH.

I need to come up with a plan. Stat. In the meantime, as I recover from the latest virus (#2 this winter), I am in the final training week before my FIRST race of the season. The Cherry Pit 10 miler.

Last year, I ran 8:23s. Pretty decent showing coming off tendonitis. I've been running more this year and trying to build faster "mile drills" into my running through the coach appointed workouts. I want to run 8:15s but somewhere deep inside, I am afraid to want that. Afraid that if I don't meet that mark it will mean something more than just a "missed time". I don't know why, but that's how I feel. That said, I know I need a goal pace. A good solid race pace that's achievable. 8:15s seem feasible. Again, nervous. What if I can't do it? What will that mean and why do I care so much this time?

The fact that I've arrived at this point in the season still 7 pounds over my race weight makes me .... depressed. I feel like I just haven't done enough. When the race is done and dusted, if I am slower then the conversation will begin. The one where I am not enough. Didn't do enough. Try hard enough.

Stop. I need to think about what I can do here and now with what I have. I am healthy. I have been training pretty consistently all winter. No matter what. I'll learn something. Even if it's something I don't particularly care to see.

Right now I can follow the process. Do the work out on the schedule. Pretty soon the fitness will come. Don't chase! Don't eat a bad dinner. Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Swim 2100/Bike HARD/Run gently. Ready .... set ..... GO!


No comments:

Post a Comment